Monday, June 28, 2010

Accounting Onion Almost Makes Me Cry

Tom Selling's 15 June 2010 post at Accounting Onion applies SFAS 52, Foreign Exchange Accounting, giving an absurd result. He slams the SEC, FASB and Big 87654 all at once for this. Good show Tom. Here's a link:
http://accountingonion.typepad.com/theaccountingonion/2010/06/asu-2010-19-when-a-dollar-of-cash-is-more-than-a-dollar-on-the-balance-sheet.html. Thank you Hugo Chavez for creating this anomaly. In rereading Tom's post I got an idea for Citigroup's treasury department. Incorporate a Venezuelan subsidiary; put $50 billion USD in it and presto, instant profits. Well Vikram Pandit, whaddayasay? I figure this idea is worth 1%. I'll expect my $500 million check within 30 days. Tom: If I get the $500 million, half is yours. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Counting chickens before they hatch?

Term Papers said...

Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck!

College Term Papers