Saturday, October 31, 2009

California's Gestapo-2

On 19 October 2009 I received a letter from California's State Board of Equalization (SBE). What did the SBE, which collects California sales taxes want? I read the letter which described California's "qualified purchaser" concept and said I should register to pay California use tax on items I bought for which I paid no California sales tax. It said penalties and interest will be applied to late payments and I should also report my 2007 and 2008 purchases. Well "Ahrnold" come and get me. I sold my LA condo 34 months ago. I have no assets in California. Good luck "Ahrnold". Be warned, we Texans are well armed and if you send your "agents" to collect, we may send them back. You don't want that? We don't either. If I sent the letter to our local US attorney Tim Johnson, would he get a grand jury to indict the SBE for mail fraud, 18 USC 1341, or extortion, 18 USC 876? The SBE letter does not state with no California business you are exempt from registration. Hey "Ahrnold", did you hear of interstate commerce? The SBE's three registration conditions apply to every Texas business doing over $100,000 in annual sales. Go ahead SBE, come to Texas to collect your tax. We're ready. California is desperate. Got California muni bonds? Poor you. See also my 20 October 2008 and 25 July 2009 posts:

http://skepticaltexascpa.blogspot.com/2008/10/californias-gestapo.html.
http://skepticaltexascpa.blogspot.com/2009/07/leaving-la.html.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tax wars.

Interstate tax wars.

Negocios Loucos said...

I bought a car in Massachusetts in 2005. I moved to California 4 months later and when I went to register the car I owed the State of California Sales Tax. $700 sales tax for a car I purchased, and then drove, 3000 miles from Sacramento.

And now, as I'm sure you've been made aware, California is collecting 2010 taxes in 2009. But it's ok, I'll get the money back, without interest, in 2011.

California, beautiful place, horrible government.

Independent Accountant said...

NL:
I am a California refugee. You might get your money back. Then again, "Ahrnold" may hit you up for another "loan".

IA